Group Piano (Year 4) builds on the groundwork laid down in the first three years of the curriculum. Classes focus on the special nature of keyboard music- reading the bass clef, playing two different parts, using open fifths to harmonize melodies, etc. Classes are limited to 10 children.
An exciting addition to the program is the required, 4 week, summer dulcimer class, in which the students build their own mountain dulcimer, learn to string and tune it, and begin learning how to play on it.
- Individual expression through improvisation, composition, vocal exploration, and movement
- Writing and reading music- notation and pitch at the same time, using common musical forms
- Playing music, especially in ensemble, with new melody instruments-
- Lap Harp, Recorder, Piano
- Movement in response to musical cues, more complex folk dances
- Singing, chanting, and exploring the voice- rounds and multi-part choruses
- Listening to longer pieces- The Magic Flute, Pictures at an Exhibition, Scenes from Childhood
Hands on experimentation with many acoustic instruments
Cost: Summer Dulcimer Class $220 (for 4 classes, includes all materials)
Academic Year Class $450/semester, due twice yearly*
Materials fee: $100/academic year
Times and Dates:
Summer Dulcimer Classes - Prerequisite for academic year classes- please choose one section (4 weeks)
Dates and Times: Please choose one section Session 1 (5/20-6/11)
Section A Monday
Section B Tuesday
6:00-7:30 5/20, 5/27, 6/3, 6/10
2:30-4:00 5/22 (Wed 4:30), 5/29 (Wed 4:30), 6/4, 6/11
Session 2 (6/17-7/16)
Section C Monday
Section D Tuesday
6:00-7:30 6/17, 6/24, 7/8, 7/15
2:30-4:00 6/18, 6/25, 7/9, 7/16
Academic Year classes meet weekly, from September 16, 2013 to May 5, 2014.
Class Parent Meeting Monday 6:00-7:15 Monday, 9/9, 6:30-7:45 Wednesday 6:00-7:15 Wednesday, 9/11, 6:30-7:45 Saturday 12:45-2:00 either of the above times
$110 deposit for summer dulcimer class due due immediately to hold spot. Balance ($110) due at first class. $100 materials fee for academic year due April 1. Semester payments are due September 15 and January 15.
*or $100/month installment plan